Saturday, March 21, 2009

Haiku

After checking in at Myoshin-ji Temple we decided to eat at Akira's Paradise Kitchen nearby. We were in for a treat as we gave Akira free reign on what to prepare (since we couldn't read the menu). What a feast:


Then Akira broke out some sort of playing cards. We couldn't figure out the rules (if there were any), so Larry introduced us to the art of haiku (Japanese poetry - 5,7,5 syllable phrases). We would randomly pick a card and try to tell a story about it in haiku. The first one was about a Sumarai:


"Kindly look away
As I sharpen my axe blade
To cut off your head."

Here's my first haiku - ever:


"I tried hard today
To put my hair in a bun -
I will try harder."

Then Dana reminded us that haiku are usually about nature or the seasons so I tried my best to incorporate sakura:



"Blossoms, we art thou?
Oh, pink beauty - I love you!
Don't leave me waiting."

1 comment:

  1. Dana & Frauke,

    By now Japan is just a memory for you....but what a memory! Thanks for sharing. ~ M ~

    ReplyDelete